Monday, February 4, 2013

Of Native Concern


I am not considered Native American by popular definition, but I am native to America, more specifically native to the Keweenaw Peninsula of MI. I love the big lake and frequently eat the fish from it and the berries that grow around it. I never considered myself as part of the "at risk" population, especially at risk from pollution, double especially not from the Big Lake!  I was aware of the threat of  pollution to the Lake but was unaware of the current levels. 

Some of my favorite dinners have either been self-caught or purchased from Peterson's fish market! My favorite place to eat! (top on Quincy hill) It saddens me to think the Big Lake and it's inhabitants (including fish and people) are at at risk not only from local but global pollution as well (past and present). 

Less carefree than I once was when it comes to food toxicity, I now frequent this website, Seafood Watch. I find it's a great resource for safe fish consumption information.

For example:


LAKE TROUT

New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation
SEAFOODRATINGMARKET NAMESWHERE CAUGHTHOW CAUGHT
Lake TroutGood Alternative: These are good alternatives to the best choices column. There are some concerns with how they are fished or farmed – or with the health of their habitats due to other human impacts.Char, Laker, Mackinaw, Namaycush, Salmon Trout, TogueLake Superior, Lake HuronWild-caught
Lake TroutAvoid: Avoid these products for now. These fish come from sources that are overfished or fished or farmed in ways that harm the environment.Char, Laker, Mackinaw, Namaycush, Salmon Trout, TogueLake MichiganWild-caught
Rainbow TroutBest Choice: These fish are abundant, well managed and fished or farmed in environmentally friendly ways.Golden Trout, Steelhead, Steelhead TroutU.S.Farmed




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to see just how severe the issue of contaminated fish really is, so I found the 2011-2012 Michigan Fish Advisory, which tests fish from all Michigan watersheds for harmful toxins. Of every fish in every lake or river system listed, I found 7 that had no eating restrictions. Keep in mind that these are specific to a particular lake/river system. I never knew it was such a big deal. Land of the Lakes and you couldn't safely live off it. Pretty sad irony right there

    ReplyDelete