Thursday, April 18, 2013

Class Reflection

Much of the material we covered in class is disheartening and depressing. We’ve learned that many of the things we do on a daily basis are turning our bodies and environment into one big cycle of toxin and pollutant exchange.

The topics we covered may have fueled our paranoia, motivated us to live off the grid as organic farmers or hunter-gatherers, make our own deodorant, or don our cormorant suits and march for environmental justice; but we are still college students and the demands of living toxin free, eco-aware, wale/owl/tree/water/air/ friendly, slum-reversing lives can seem like a daunting and nearly impossible task.   BUT we also learned that by making small changes to our daily routines, and sharing our ideas and thoughts with others, we can step out of our cycle of toxins and waste into a positive cycle of higher quality life.

This class also came with a big emphasis on sharing and action. I doubt I’m the only one inspired to share and spread the issues we’ve covered in class, or at least somehow incorporate what we’ve learned into our daily processes.  

For another class I was tasked with creating some sort of social change using social media. My first thought was to somehow utilize the blogging we do for SS3410.

My idea is to create an interactive Detox “Cheat Sheet” (on this blog, on Facebook, and as a pin) for college students. My plan is to address good strategies that may seem daunting for college students to implement since we are often short on funds, time, and energy. I don’t know about you guys but I don’t have the resources to eat all organic free-range foods free from pesticides that have never touched plastic and what not… So I’m framing alternative or (less hardcore) detox tips as “cheats” for ways busy stressed college students can still reduce their consumption and exposure to toxins and still have time to study or not careen (further) into debt. 


I hope to have it done soon, keep an eye out on my blog if you’re interested to see what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment